Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Parrot Jungle Then and Now

I was recently sorting through photos in a storage box and came across this one I took in 1989 at the original Parrot Jungle location (Pinecrest area) which closed in 2002. For those who perhaps don't remember this scene... those are flamingos on the lawn by the Koi pond. What a shame that they moved the attraction to Watson Island which is probably about a third of the original size of the theme park. I haven't been to Parrot Jungle Island but from everything I've heard from those who have, it just doesn't compare (more concrete than grass/nature). Anyone know what's there now at the location of the original one?

For the trivia buffs out there, here's an awesome website that outlines Florida's Lost Tourist Attractions. The only one I didn't see listed is Ocean World which used to be off SE 17th St. in Fort Lauderdale. Jeez, I probably sound older than I am.

5 Comments:

At 3:13 AM, Blogger mish said...

The original parrot jungle is still open as a park and they have a cute little petting zoo if you didnt know. Parrot Jungle Island is also turning into Jungle Island to sound more attractive to tourists coming off the ships.

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger Sleepless said...

Kewl... I didn't know that and am glad to hear it wasn't taken over by some developer who put homes or condos on the site.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger mkh said...

I recently came across a bunch of old souvenir programs from Florida tourist attractions, including a 70s-era Parrot Jungle and one for Ocean World. I'm in the process of scanning them to post on Hidden City, so it was an entertaining coincidence to read your post.

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Sleepless said...

MKH: I'm looking forward to seeing those on your site.

 
At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Ketsaki said...

It's so funny that I should come across this post now...considering I just discovered "Pinecrest Gardens" aka the old parrot jungle. I go there all the time and have picnics with my friends. It's amazing. When it first openned up as a park, they charged admission but gave that up pretty quick. They have summer camps there, arts and crafts classes, you name it. It's a beautiful place, its free, and it closes when the sun goes down. I suggest it to everyone!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home