Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Man vs. Mankind

Back from my hiatus and determined to publish a new post more often than I have been the past couple of months. So, here goes:

As I stopped to plunk down my money to pay for my Starbucks coffee earlier this week, I couldn't help but notice the tip jar and then it hit me...


One glaring difference between Starbucks and McDonald's is that many Starbucks have a tip jar on the counter whereas McDonald's (probably the king of franchises) has those clear plastic donation boxes with proceeds going to the Ronald McDonald House Charities.

Why do so many people feel the need to tip when there's a tip jar but not drop chump change into these donation boxes?

5 Comments:

At 8:03 AM, Anonymous Rick said...

Welcome back! Hope you stay.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Sleepless said...

Thanks, Rick. I plan on it!

 
At 1:19 AM, Blogger Dayngr said...

Now that is an excellent question!

 
At 9:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't think those donation boxes don't benefit Mickey D's profit margin. Whatever they can vacuum up from the customers, and donate to a charity (in this case, their OWN charity), is a big tax write-off for them. They tug at your heartstrings with images of dying children, then they funnel the proceeds into a "charity" that boosts their bottom line. If you've noticed, even Target is asking for donation of $1 for "breast cancer research" at the check-out, now. Think it's all warm & fuzzy humanitarianism? Think again. It's a big tax write-off.

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger James Burnett said...

I do the tip jars, because I'm cynical. It's easier for me to feel comfortable knowing the person handing me my coffee - and making barely more than minimum wage - will get an extra few cents to supplement his income, than it is for me to believe the charity jar at a fast-food franchise producing heart-clogging food is going to spend the money on a good cause.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home